The Pines is the earliest of the historic Lee Avenue homes. This Flemish bond house was built in 1819 for Benjamin Darst, a prominent local businessman, by his son Samuel Darst and Col. John Jordan, who enjoyed a successful Shenandoah masonry and construction partnership, providing bricks and other materials to Thomas Jefferson for elements of Monticello and the early buildings of the University of Virginia. In 1883, The Pines was acquired by Reverend & General William Nelson Pendleton and family as their retirement home. Pendleton was one of the founders of Episcopal High School (1839) in Alexandria and later, in the War Between the States, served General Lee as artillery commander and senior staff officer. Pendleton was instrumental in bringing Lee to Lexington as President of Washington College. The Grigsby family purchased The Pines in October 2007 and commenced a complete restoration of the property, replacing a covered porch with a reproduction Victorian conservatory at the rear of the house.